‘A friend in need is a friend indeed.’ This saying means that a real friend is there for you in times of trouble. Write an essay in which you give your own opinion of this view, taking into consideration the way we make friends these days and situations where you can recognise real friends.
1. Read the task above. How many elements are there to cover?
1) Give your opinion of the view
2) Describe how we make friends these days
3) List situations where you can recognise real friends
2. Read the essay. In which paragraphs does the writer cover each element of the task?
[a ] I find that the saying ‘A friend in need is a friend indeed’ is a true one and I wholeheartedly agree with it. I do think that a true friend is one who is always there for you, no matter what.
[b ] In the internet age, people are more sociable than ever. It’s easy to make lots of friends online because no one makes any demands on you. Not that it isn’t good to have a wide circle of people to socialise with. Nevertheless, it is said that most of us can count our number of true friends on the fingers of one hand, and I personally think that it is in times of trouble that you find out who your real friends are.
[c ] I have known closest friend Mina since primary school and she remains the nicest, gentlest person I know. We rarely have arguments. Not that we agree on everything, but we generally have a caring and supportive relationship. When mum was very ill in hospital, she was the truest friend of all. She never once complained that I was bad company, like one or two of other friends, and I could always talk to her about all fears. This type of situation really shows you who your friends are.
[d ] So, in view, although you may have lots of friends to have fun with, make sure you have at least one close friend who can support you when you need it most.
Element 1 a Element 2 b Element 3 c
Use a variety of grammatical structures and vocabulary instead of simple sentences. This will make your essay more interesting and more effective.
3. Read the Writing Strategy and underline an example of each of the structures below in the essay.
1) contrasting clause with but and although
2) an example of another linker
3) an example of preparatory it
4) a sentence starting with Not that ___
5) an example of do/did for emphasis
1) Not that we agree on everything, but we generally have a caring and supportive relationship. (para C), ___ although you may have lots of friends to have fun with, make sure you have at least one close friend ___ (Para D)
2) Nevertheless (Para B)
3) It is said ___ (Para B)
4) Not that it isn’t good to have a wide circle of people to socialise with. (Para B)
5) I do think that a true friend is one who is always there for you ___ (Para A)
4. Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.
1) She’s a good friend, but she can be a bit moody.
2) People say that you must be a good friend to have a good friend.
3) Having true friends is important.
4) I tried talking to him, but he didn’t understand what I was saying.
I tried talking to him, not that ________________
5) I try hard, but she won’t be friends with me.
I try hard. However, ________________
1) Although she’s a good friend, she can be a bit moody.
2) It is said that you must be a good friend to have a good friend.
3) It is important to have true friends.
4) I tried talking to him, not that he understood what I was saying.
5) I try hard. However, she won’t be friends with me.
5. Rewrite the sentences using do/did for emphasis.
1) I liked her.
2) ‘Why didn’t you tell him I was here?’ ‘I told him!’
3) Although she’s twice age, we have a lot in common.
4) I think he is a good friend.
5) ‘You don’t support me enough.’ ‘I support you!’
1) I did like her.
2) ‘Why didn’t you tell him I was here?’ ‘I did tell him!’
3) Although she’s twice age, we do have a lot in common.
4) I do think he is a good friend.
5) ‘You don’t support me enough.’ ‘I do support you!’
There is a saying ‘Age is no barrier to friendship.’ Write an essay in which you give your opinion of this view, taking into consideration the generation gap and different life experience.
6. Read the task above. Make some notes for your opinion and personal description.
7. Write your essay.