1. Choose the correct verbs to complete the sentences.
1) Our teacher wondered / insisted / encouraged us to take part in the contest.
2) The student blamed / denied / managed taking the money from his classmate.
3) We all reminded / persuaded / agreed to meet in town at 8 p.m.
4) Did you mention / spend / tell the idea of going out for a pizza to Jessica?
5) Sean always denies / offers / mentions to help his friends.
6) If you keep / expect / agree trying, you will finally succeed!
1) encouraged 2) denied 3) agreed 4) mention
5) offers 6) keep
2. Complete the sentences with the correct infinitive or -ing form of the verbs in brackets.
When I go shopping for clothes, I spend time 1) _____. (think) about what I’m going to buy. I usually can’t afford 2) _____. (buy) the brands I really like. If I spend all money on one piece of clothing, I end up 3) _____. (regret) it. However, if I really like something, I do occasionally decide 4) _____. (do) that. I enjoy 5) _____. (look) around the shops for cheaper clothes and I always ask the shop assistants 6) _____. (give) me a discount. They usually refuse 7) _____. (offer) me one, but occasionally I’m lucky and I manage 8) _____. (get) one!
1) thinking 2) to buy 3) regretting 4) to do
5) looking 6) to give 7) to offer 8) to get
3. Match 1-6 with a-f to make sentences.
1) Kate always begs
2) Jake blamed
3) Anna suggested
4) This ice cream reminds
5) Tom won’t
6) Our neighbour didn’t thank us
a revising for the exams together.
b for finding his cat.
c his sister for their late arrival.
d mind waiting for us at the bus station.
e me to help her with her homework.
f me of our holiday in Italy.
1) e 2) c 3) a 4) f 5) d 6) b
4. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the verbs below.
accuse apologise beg blame insist thank want warn
1) A and Ewan don’t ______________ to go to the concert.
2) Our parents ______________ us against swimming in the river when we were on holiday.
3) Chloë ______________ on using her mobile phone in the cinema even though she was asked not to.
4) Alex didn’t ______________ for arriving late.
5) We ______________ them to take us on holiday.
6) Lucy always ______________ other people for her problems.
7) I ______________ Tom for helping me with homework.
8) They ______________ the students of lying.
1) want 2) warned 3) insisted 4) apologise
5) begged 6) blames 7) thanked 8) accused
5. Complete the sentences with to do or doing.
1) He admitted ______________ badly in the exam.
2) Lucy has always enjoyed ______________ exercise.
3) dad persuaded me ______________ the course.
4) The organisers thanked us for ______________ the clearing up.
5) Mark insisted on ______________ his homework alone.
6) A has promised ______________ the washing-up.
1) doing 2 doing 3) to do 4) doing 5) doing 6) to do
6. Complete the text with the correct infinitive or -ing form of the verbs below. Sometimes both forms are correct.
be fall go snow spend take turn into
I prefer 1) _________ on holiday in the winter rather than in the summer, so I’ll never forget 2) _________ in the mountains on a skiing holiday last year. I was really excited when it started 3) _________ during our first night at the hotel. However, the following morning, the snow hadn’t stopped 4) _____ The coach from the hotel tried 5) _________ us to the ski station, but the road was in a dangerous condition. The snow on the road had started 6) _________ ice and we had to return to the hotel. I remember 7) _________ time looking out of the hotel window, hoping that they would clear the road!
1) going / to go 2) being 3) snowing / to snow 4) falling
5) to take 6) turning into / to turn into 7) spending
7. Complete the sentences with the infinitive or -ing form of the verbs in brackets.
1) Our teacher first taught us some vocabulary and then went on ______________ (explain) the meaning of the tenses.
2) Please remember ______________ (take) your keys with you when you go out tonight.
3) Jack will always remember ______________ (score) his first goal for the school football team.
4) We’ll stop ______________ (have) a break at 11 a.m. and then we’ll return to working on the project.
5) We’ll never forget ______________ (meet) our favourite actor at the airport.
6) I’m afraid that I forgot ______________ (buy) bread.
1) to explain 2) to take 3) scoring 4) to have
5) meeting 6) to buy