1. Write the words in brackets in the correct order to form mixed conditional sentences. Add a comma in the correct place.
1) If (know / you’d / the answer / you’d / listened).
2) If (weren’t / I’d / have / raining / it / walked).
3) If (he / have / Lucas / older / voted / could / were).
4) If (chips / have / hungry / I’d / those / was / eaten / I).
5) If (champions / might / scored / they’d / they / be / the).
6) If (you / I / have / that / were / done / wouldn’t / I).
1) you’d listened, you’d know the answer
2) it weren’t raining, I’d have walked
3) Lucas / he were older, he / Lucas could have voted
4) I was hungry, I’d have eaten those chips
5) they’d scored, they might be the champions
6) I were you, I wouldn’t have done that
2. Choose the correct options (a-c) to complete the mixed conditional sentences.
1) If Tony ____ the lottery, he would be rich.
b had won
c would win
2) Life ____ difficult if they hadn’t invented electricity!
a would be
b had been
3) If you’d burned the cake, we ____ eat it.
b weren’t able to
4) If Zoe were braver, she ____ for Ed’s phone number.
a might have asked
b might asking
c might not ask
5) We’d have gone to school if it ____ the weekend.
b hadn’t been
6) If I ____ your advice, I’d have asked for it.
b would want
7) If I hadn’t seen the news, I ____ about the accident.
a didn’t know
b wouldn’t know
c hadn’t known.
1) b 2) a 3) c 4) a 5) a 6) c 7) b
3. Complete the mixed conditional sentences with up to five words, including the correct form of the words in brackets. Do not change the order of the words.
1) I would be sad if (I / never / meet) you!
2) If Max hadn’t run so fast, (he / not / exhausted).
3) They wouldn’t be nervous about the exam (they / study / harder).
4) (you / be / poor) you’d spent all your money yesterday.
5) If Lily had used suncream on the beach, (she / burned / now)!
6) I would have written to you if (I / know / address).
1) I had never met 2) he wouldn’t be exhausted
3) if they had studied harder 4) You would be poor if
5) she wouldn’t be burned now 6) I had known your address
4. Complete the email with one word in each gap to make mixed conditional sentences.
Did you watch Comic Relief on TV last night? I might 1) _______ missed it if mum 2) _______ such a huge fan – if she 3) _______ reminded me it was on, I’d be really annoyed! Of course, it 4) _______ have been so funny if the people taking part weren’t really famous. And the amount of money they’ve raised wouldn’t 5) _______ so much if the public hadn’t joined in as well. Anyway, it was great fun and I watched it to the end – but I wouldn’t be so tired today if I 6) _______ gone to bed at usual time!
See you soon, Artur
1) have 2) wasn’t / weren’t 3) hadn’t 4) wouldn’t
5) be 6) had
5. Complete the text with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
Oxfam is a world leader in delivering emergency relief. If it weren’t for this charity, thousands of children in Europe 1) _______ (go) hungry during World War II. Today, desperate people 2) _______ (not have) clean water if Oxfam hadn’t made this a priority during humanitarian disasters. And if it 3) _______ (not be) for Oxfam, the NGO ActionAid might, not exist either; there wouldn’t be so much pressure on governments to provide healthcare and education and to combat climate change if these charities 4) _______ (not develop). But Oxfam might not be so successful nowadays if it 5) _______ (not recognise) the importance of linking business with charity. Oxfam employs thousands of people worldwide, but it couldn’t have become the UK’s biggest high-street seller of second-hand books if it 6) _______ (not be) also for the thousands of volunteers who give their time working in these important charity shops.
1) would have gone 2) wouldn’t have 3) hadn’t been
4) hadn’t developed 5) hadn’t recognised / didn’t recognise
6) wasn’t / weren’t
6. Complete the second sentence so that it means the same as the first.
1) Heidi speaks German because she went to a German school.
If Heidi hadn’t gone to a German school, ________
2) I haven’t got own room because parents didn’t buy a big house.
If parents had bought a big house, ________
3) He didn’t apologise, so I’m angry.
I wouldn’t be angry if ________
4) I didn’t pay for our coffees because I haven’t got any money with me.
If I had some money with me, ________
1) she wouldn’t speak German 2) I would have own room
3) he had apologised 4) I would have paid for our coffees