1. Match the halves of these mixed conditional sentences.
1) Martha would have gone to the night club
2) Tom would have accepted your invitation
3) John would be emigrating to Australia soon
4) Kate would be going to university
5) teacher would be pleased
a if he wasn’t going away on Friday.
b if he had been able to get a work permit.
c If I had completed project.
d if she didn’t have her driving test tomorrow.
e if she hadn’t failed some of her exams.
1) d 2) a 3) b 4) e 5) c
2. Complete these mixed conditional sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1) You ____________ (have) more money now if you ____________ (waste) it on clothes and magazines.
2) If school results ____________ (be) better, I ____________ (apply) to become an airline pilot when I left school.
3) If I ____________ (pay) more attention in Spanish classes, I ____________ (speak) better Spanish.
4) If I ____________ (not like) fish, I ____________ (not order) it from the menu last night.
5) She ____________ (not be) at this school now if her parents ____________ (not move) to this town three years ago.
6) If it ____________ (not be) so cold this morning, I ____________ (not wear) woolly scarf now.
7) If I ____________ (like) horror films, I ____________ (watch) Bloodbath.
1) would have, hadn’t wasted
2) were, would have applied
3) had paid, would speak
4) didn’t like, wouldn’t have ordered
5) wouldn’t be, hadn’t moved
6) hadn’t been, wouldn’t be wearing
7) liked, would have watched
3. Read the situations and write mixed conditional sentences.
1) I failed piano exam last summer. That’s why I’m taking it again.
If I hadn’t ________
2) I didn’t go to the theatre because I’m broke.
3) Dave didn’t say hello to Emily at the party. That’s why she’s upset.
4) Ryan is learning Mandarin. That’s why he spent a week in Beijing.
5) Beth couldn’t phone you last night because she hasn’t got a mobile.
6) Ollie lost his iPad. That’s why he’s looking miserable.
7) Carol is unwell. That’s why she didn’t go out last night.
8) Poland are playing in the European Cup because they beat Belgium in the qualifying round.
9) Fran isn’t coming to the concert with us tomorrow because she couldn’t get a ticket.
1) If I hadn’t failed piano exam last summer, I wouldn’t be taking it again.
2) I would have gone to the theatre if I wasn’t / weren’t broke.
3) If Dave had said hello to Emily at the party, she wouldn’t be upset.
4) If Ryan wasn’t / weren’t learning Mandarin, he wouldn’t have spent a week in Beijing.
5) Beth would have phoned you last night if she had a mobile.
6) If Ollie hadn’t lost his iPad, he wouldn’t be looking miserable.
7) If Carol was well, she would have gone out last night.
8) Poland wouldn’t be playing in the European Cup if they hadn’t beaten Belgium in the qualifying round.
9) Fran would be coming to the concert with us tomorrow if she could have got a ticket.
Complete these sentences with your own ideas. Make them mixed conditional sentences.
1) If the Internet hadn’t been invented, ________
2) If I were extremely rich, ________
3) If I knew someone famous, ________