1. Complete the sentences below with the words in the box.
all it person place reason thing what
1) _____ was mum who suggested skiing.
2) The ________ we chose was a resort in the Alps.
3) _____ we needed to do was buy a permit.
4) _____ happened was that the snow melted.
5) The ________ who complained most was dad.
6) The ________ that annoyed him was that we couldn’t get a refund.
7) The ________ I didn’t mind was that I’m not keen on skiing.
1) It 2) place 3 All 4 What 5) person 6) thing 7) reason
2. Rewrite the sentences in exercise 1 without emphasis.
1) mum suggested skiing.
2) We chose a resort in the Alps.
3) We needed to buy a permit.
4) The snow melted.
5) dad complained most.
6) He was annoyed that we couldn’t get a refund.
7) I didn’t mind because I’m not keen on skiing.
3. Change the structure of the sentences to make them emphatic. Include the words in brackets.
1) I went home early because I felt ill. (reason)
2) cousin Matt first got me interested in sailing. (person)
3) I only ate half a cheese sandwich. (all)
4) A few people in the crowd started singing. (happened)
5) The ancient Greeks first brought boxing to Europe. (it)
6) I love going for walks by the sea. (place)
7) Honesty matters most in a relationship. (thing)
1) The reason I went home was that I felt ill.
2) The person who first got me interested in sailing was cousin Matt.
3) All I ate was half a cheese sandwich.
4) What happened was that a few people in the crowd started singing.
5) It was the ancient Greeks who first brought boxing to Europe.
6) The place where I love going for walks is by the sea.
7) The thing that matters most in a relationship is honesty.
4. Rewrite the sentences in a more emphatic way.
1) I’m not going to lend you bike.
No way _________ .
2) I’d hardly arrived at school when the fire alarm rang.
Hardly _________ .
3) I only understood the next day why she’d been to upset.
Only the next day _________ .
4) Nobody could sleep because the hotel was so noisy.
So noisy _________ .
5) As soon as I’d found phone, it rang.
No sooner _________ .
6) I’ll never spend £400 on a camera again.
Never _________ .
7) I definitely wouldn’t go to that hotel again.
Under no circumstances _________ .
8) Not many films have generated so much publicity.
Rarely _________ .
1) No way am I going to lend you bike.
2) Hardly had I arrived at school when the fire alarm rang.
3) Only the next day did I understand why she’d been to upset.
4) So noisy was the hotel that nobody could sleep.
5) No sooner had I found phone than it rang.
6) Never again will I spend £400 on a camera.
7) Under no circumstances would I go to that hotel again.
8) Rarely has a film generated so much publicity.
5. Complete the sentences with your own ideas. Use other sentences on this page to help you, if necessary.
1) It was best friend who _________ .
2) All that happened _________ .
3) What worries me _________ .
4) Under no circumstances _________ .
5) Only much later _________ .
6) Rarely _________ .
Your own answers
Write three sentences about a sport you either like or dislike strongly. Use emphatic structures.