1. Circle the correct words to complete the concession clauses.
1) The image isn’t very clear in spite of / even though the size of the screen.
2 Despite / Although I don’t like video games, I bought the games console anyway.
3) It was quite expensive even though / despite it was in the sale.
4) I don’t agree, in spite of / although it’s obviously not a good idea to play for more than a few hours at a time.
1) in spite of 2) Although 3) even though 4) although
2. Complete the internet forum post with three of the sentences in exercise 1.
I bought a new games console last week from a website.
It’s a handheld console with a large screen and controls for your thumbs on each end. Fifty games are built into the console, and you can download more from the internet.
Overall, I’m very happy with it. The games are certainly fun.
I have one criticism: 2) ___________
Some people think that teenagers should spend less time playing computer games because it’s bad for their health.
1) It was quite expensive even though it was in the sale.
2) The image isn’t very clear in spite of the size of the screen.
3) I don’t agree, although it’s obviously not a good idea to play for more than a few hours at a time.
Each point in the task will ask you to do a different thing, such as describe, recommend, relate, express an opinion, suggest, etc. Read the task carefully and make sure that you understand exactly what you are being asked to do.
3. Read the Writing Strategy. Then read the points a-f below. Number four points in the order they appear in the text in exercise 2. There are two extra points.
a compares it with another console.
b presents the opinions of people who think teenagers spend too much time playing video games.
c gives her opinion of the games console.
d describes some of its features.
e says when and where she bought the games console.
f asks other forum contributors to react to her forum post.
b 4 c 3 d 2 e 1
You recently bought a new phone. Write a forum post in which you:
– describe to other forum contributors what you use it for.
– compare it with another phone which you have used.
– present the opinions of people who think that mobile phones should be banned in school.
– ask other forum contributors to react to your forum post.
4. Read the task above. Underline the verb in each point that describes what you should do. The first one is already underlined.
compare, present, ask
5. Make notes for each of the four points in the task.
your own answers
6. Write your forum post using your notes.