1. Complete the third conditional sentences with the verbs in brackets.
1) If I ________. (be) hungry, I ________. (buy) a sandwich in the buffet car.
2) We ________. (book) a cabin if they ________. (not be) so expensive.
3) If we ________. (stop) at the filling station, we ________. (not run out) of petrol.
4) If you ________. (look) at the departures board, you ________. (know) which gate to go to.
5) What ________. you ________. (do) if the airline ________. (lose) your luggage?
6) We ________. (not go) out on deck is the weather ________. (not be) so lovely.
7) If you ________. (find) a bag on a train, ________. you ________. (take) it to the lost property office?
8) I ________. (not use) the car park if I ________. (can) park on the street.
9) If I ________. (need) a taxi, I ________. (wait) at the taxi rank.
1) had been, would have bought
2) would have booked, hadn’t been
3) had stopped, wouldn’t have run out
4) had looked, would have known
5) would, have done, had lost
6) wouldn’t have gone, hadn’t been
7) had found, would, have taken
8) wouldn’t have used, could have parked
9) had needed, would have waited
2. Match the sentence halves. Then rewrite them as third conditional sentences.
1) We missed the ferry because ___ e__
2) We got lost because ____
3) I couldn’t get on the plane because ____
4) The train was late because ____
5) The car crashed because ____
6) We didn’t take the cable car because ____
a I didn’t have passport with me.
b we wanted to walk up the mountain.
c you forgot the satnav.
d the driver didn’t see the red light.
e we were late setting off.
f there was snow on the line.
1) We wouldn’t have missed the ferry if we hadn’t been late setting off.
2 c ; We wouldn’t have got lost if you hadn’t forgotten the satnav.
3) a ; I could have got on the plane if I had had passport with me.
4 f; The train wouldn’t have been late if there hadn’t been snow on the line.
5 d ; The car wouldn’t have crashed if the driver had seen the red light.
6 b ; we wouldn’t have taken the cable car if we hadn’t wanted to walk up the mountain.
3. Write questions using the prompts.
1) where / you / go / on holiday / last summer / if / you / have / the choice?
Where would you have gone ________.
2) what / you / do / if / you / feel ill / this morning?
3) what / you / buy / last weekend / if / you / have / lots of money?
4) what / you / do / if / today / be / a public holiday?
5) what film / you / see / if / go / to the cinema / last night?
6) what / you / eat / yesterday evening / if / you / have / the choice?
1) on holiday last summer if you had had the choice?
2) What would you have done if you had felt ill this morning?
3) What would you have bought last weekend if you had had lots of money?
4) What would you have done if today had been a public holiday?
5) What film would you have seen if you had gone to the cinema last night?
6) What would you have eaten yesterday evening if you had had the choice?
4. Write answers to the questions in exercise 3.
your own answers
5. Complete the third conditional sentences with the correct form of the verbs in brackets.
1) Ryan ______________ (not be) late for the interview if he ______________ (not miss) the bus.
2) If you ______________ (wear) proper shoes, you ______________ (not twist) your ankle.
3) If we ______________ (stay) on the main road, we ______________ (not get) lost.
4) She ______________ (drive) to work if there ______________ (not be) so much traffic.
5) You ______________ (pass) your driving test if you ______________ (remember) to look in the mirror.
6) If I ______________ (not take) a guidebook, we ______________ (not know) where to go.
7) If we ______________ (go) by taxi, we ______________ (arrive) by now.
8) They ______________ (have) difficulty finding the street if they ______________ (not use) a satnav.
1) wouldn’t have been, hadn’t missed
2) ’d worn, wouldn’t have twisted
3) ’d stayed, wouldn’t have got
4) ’d have driven, hadn’t been
5) ’d have passed, ’d remembered
6) hadn’t taken, wouldn’t have known
7) ’d gone, ‘d have arrived
8) ’d have had, hadn’t used