1. Choose the correct answer.
1) sister is a member of the choir performed / performing tonight.
2) The audience watching / watched the rock band were mainly young people.
3) The money collecting / collected by the buskers will be donated to charity.
4) The aria singing / sung by the opera singer was very moving.
5) We received a letter inviting / invited us to a performance by a string quartet.
6) The New World symphony, composed / composing by Dvorak, is one of his best.
7) The conductor led / leading the orchestra is from Moscow.
8) The instrument played / playing by the lead violinist was a Stradivarius.
1) performing 2) watching 3) collected 4) sung
5) inviting 6) composed 7) leading 8) played
2. Look at the picture and complete the sentences with the present participle or the past participle form of the verbs in brackets.
1) The scene __________ (portray) in the picture is a busy city street.
2) None of the people __________ (depict) in the scene is driving a car.
3) The clothes __________ (wear) by the people are very old-fashioned.
4) The dog __________ (stand) in the foreground looks as if he has just seen something interesting.
5) A woman __________ (walk) with her daughter has also stopped to watch the action.
6) The three men __________ (talk) in the background look like they are discussing the incident.
1) portrayed 2) depicted 3) worn
4) standing 5) walking 6) talking
3. Rewrite the relative clauses as participle phrases.
1) The symphony, which was written in 1869, was played beautifully by the orchestra.
The symphony, written in 1869, was played beautiful by the orchestra.
2) On stage there’s a folk band which is singing old songs.
3) The musician, who was educated in Rome, will play three songs this evening.
4) The cathedral which was used for the ceremony was built in the last century.
5) The opera, which stars Elaine Stewart, was an absolute disaster.
6) The DJ who is playing the music is very well-known.
2) On stage there’s a folk band singing old songs.
3) The musician, educated in Rome, will play three songs this evening.
4) The cathedral used for the ceremony was built in the last century.
5) The opera, starring Elaine Stewart, was an absolute disaster.
6) The DJ playing the music is very well-known.
Invent some information about the people in the picture. Look at the questions to help you. Write the information as participle clauses.
What are the people wearing / doing?
Where are they sitting / standing?
Who are they?