1. Read the text. Choose the correct answer.
John Depp, 1who / which / whose / where was born in Kentucky in 1963, is a well-known American actor. He first became famous when he starred in the TV series 21 Jump Street, in 2 who / which / whose / where he played a young police officer. This role, 3 who / which / whose / where he played for nearly four years, turned him into a teen idol. Later, Depp played the title role in the film Edward Scissorhands, 4 who / which / whose / where was directed by Tim Burton, 5 who / which / whose / where partner is the actress Helena Bonham Carter. Depp has two children with his partner Vanessa Paradis, and they divide their time between their five homes, including a villa in the south of France called Le Plan de la Tour, 6 who / which / whose / where Depp makes his own wine.
1) who 2) which 3) which
4) which 5) whose 6) where
2. Complete the sentences with a name and the correct relative pronoun. Use the words below to help you.
Liverpool Justin Bieber Shakira
Stockholm Paris Victoria Beckham
1) __Justin Bieber__ , __who__ was discovered on YouTube, has become a teen idol.
2) _____ , ___________ is on the River Seine, is one of the most romantic cities in Europe.
3) _____ , ___________ husband is David Beckham, usually wears high-heeled designer shoes.
4) _____ , ___________ The Beatles are from, is on the banks of the River Mersey.
5) _____ , ___________ is from Colombia, released her first album in 1995.
6) _____ , ___________ is the capital of Sweden, is located on fourteen islands.
2) Paris, which
3) Victoria Beckham, whose
4) Liverpool, where
5) Shakira, who
6) Stockholm, which
3. Join the two sentences with a non-defining relative clause.
1) Crete is popular with British tourists. It’s a Greek island.
2) The actress Gwyneth Paltrow also sings country music. She is married to the lead singer of Coldplay.
3) Daniel Craig is afraid of flying. He’s the sixth James Bond.
4) Dakar is the capital of Senegal. The famous motor rally ends there.
5) Robert Pattinson was born in London. His films include Harry Potter and the Twilight series.
6) Halloween is a popular UK festival. It is celebrated in October.
1) Crete, which is a Greek island, is popular with British tourists.
2) The actress Gwyneth Paltrow, who is married to the lead singer of Coldplay, also sings country music.
3) Daniel Craig, who is the sixth James Bond, is afraid of flying.
4) Dakar, where the famous motor rally ends, is the capital of Senegal.
5) Robert Pattinson, whose films include Harry Potter and the Twilight series, was born in London.
6) Halloween, which is celebrated in October, is a popular UK festival.
Write some sentences about your favourite singer or group. Use non-defining relative clauses.
Lady Gaga, whose real name is Stefanni Joanne Angelina Germanotta, became famous in 2008.