1. Label pictures 1-9 with the words below.
boots dinghy helmet life jacket paddles poles rope rucksack safety harness
1) life jacket 2) rucksack 3) boots 4) helmet 5) rope
6) dinghy 7) paddles 8) safety harness 9) poles
2. Which pieces of equipment from exercise 1 do you use for ___
1) rock climbing? __________________
2) kayaking? __________________
3) walking / hiking? __________________
1) helmet, safety harness, rope
2) life jacket, helmet, paddles
3) rucksack, boots, poles
3. Choose the correct words to complete the sentences about the photo below.
1) The photo seems / shows two children on a climbing wall.
2) They look / look as if quite young.
3) They boy on / at the left is looking down.
4 At / In the background, there are some buildings.
5) It looks as / like if the boys are having a good time.
1) shows 2) look 3) on 4) in 5) as
Make sure your photo description has a simple structure. Start by saying what the photo shows in general (Who? What? Where?). Then mention interesting details. You can finish with a personal comment or some speculation.
4. Read the Speaking Strategy. Then write five sentences to describe the photo below. Use phrases from exercise 3.
1) (general description) __________________
2) (details x3) __________________
3) (speculation / comment) __________________
Teacher Please describe the photo.
Student The photo shows two children on a climbing wall. They look quite young – about nine or ten years old. They are wearing shorts, T-shirts and helmets. They are also wearing safety harnesses, and I can see the safety ropes that they are attached to. The boy on the left is looking down. He isn’t moving and he seems a bit nervous. The boy on the right seems more confident. He’s also looking down, but he is moving up the wall. Er ___ what else? In the background, there are some buildings. It looks as if the boys are having a good time.
Teacher Thank you.
5. Read the examiner’s questions in the task and make notes.
Describe the photo and answer the questions.
1 Why do some people enjoy doing risky sports?
2 Is doing risky sports the best way to see spectacular scenery, in your opinion? Why? / Why not?
your own answers
6. Now do the task using your notes from exercises 5 and 6.
your own answers