1. Circle the correct verb form in these sentences. Tick the box if both forms are correct.
1) friends agreed paying / topay for ticket.
2) I don’t mind cycling / tocycle in the rain.
3) I’ve started learning / tolearn the saxophone.
4) Two men have admitted stealing / tosteal the painting.
5) We ended up staying / tostay at the hotel for a week instead of two nights.
6) Do you like going / togo for walks on the beach?
7) I hate seeing / tosee animals in pain.
8) I don’t expect passing / topass all exams.
9) She offered phoning / tophone me later.
1) to pay 2) cycling 3) ✓ 4) stealing 5) staying
6) ✓ 7) ✓ 8) to pass 9) to phone
2. Complete the text with the infinitive or -ing form of the verbs in brackets. Sometimes both are correct.
At the end of a long journey, most people prefer 1) to get (get) home and relax as soon as possible. They don’t fancy 2) _____. (shop), but they don’t want 3) _____. (arrive) home with nothing to eat.
Now, travellers who pass through Gatwick Airport in London can avoid 4) _____. (return) home to an empty fridge by choosing 5) _____. (visit) a virtual shop. There are no real products in the shop, only images on ten large screens. When you decide 6) _____. (buy) something, you use your smartphone to scan it. You keep 7) _____. (scan) items until you’ve found everything you need, then you pay. After that, you can spend a week or two 8) _____. (enjoy) your holiday. The shop promises 9) _____. (deliver) your shopping soon after you get home. According to the retailer, the virtual shop is a perfect combination of traditional and online shopping. People enjoy 10) _____. (look) around shops, but they also love 11) _____. (shop) online because it’s so convenient.
2) shopping 3) to arrive 4) returning 5) to visit
6) to buy 7) scanning 8) enjoying 9) to deliver
10) looking 11) shopping / to shop
3. Study the dictionary entries and answer the questions.
1) How many meanings are there for each verb? ______________
2) Which verb takes an infinitive? ______________
3) Which verb takes an -ing form? ______________
4) Which entry shows the verb pattern at the start of one meaning? ______________
5) Which entry only shows the verb pattern in an example? ______________
6) Which entry uses bold and italic type for two words that often go together? ______________
1) two 2) fail 3) fail 4) fail 5) risk 6) risk
4. Complete the sentences with the correct form of the words in brackets.
1) I try to avoid ________. on Saturday because the shops are so crowded. (shop)
2) Do you think he’ll agree ________. his company to a bigger firm? (sell)
3) Jon decided ________. a job with another company. (take)
4) He spends a lot of his time ________. clients. (meet)
5) The bank has refused ________. us any money. (lend)
6) I promise ________. you know about any changes. (let)
7) I fancy ________. out tonight. (eat)
8) I told him we’re not interested, but that salesperson keeps ____________ (call)
1) shopping 2) to sell 3) to take 4) meeting
5) to lend 6) to let 7) eating 8) calling