1. Complete the text with some and any.
CITIES OF THE FUTURE?
Sea levels are rising, and 1) _____ major cities – like New York and London – are in danger. There aren’t 2) _____ easy answers to this problem, but scientists are looking at 3) _____ possibilities. For example, the strange things in the photo are called Lilypad Cities and they float on the surface of the ocean. They’re a kind of eco-city. They only use clean energy, so they don’t create 4) _____ pollution. And there aren’t 5) _____ cars – in fact, there aren’t 6) _____ roads. But there are 7) _____ footpaths. When the residents want 8) _____ exercise, they go for a walk in the artificial mountains. There are certainly 9) _____ big advantages to living in a Lilypad City. But sadly, there aren’t 10) _____ plans to build one yet.
1) some 2) any 3) some 4) any 5) any 6 any 7) some
8) some 9) some 10) any
2. Choose the correct alternatives.
1) Come on! Our bus leaves in five minutes. We haven’t got a little / much time.
2) We’re going to spend a few / many days in Rome next week.
3) mum’s job is boring, but she earns a lot of / much money.
4) There aren’t a few / many houses in the city centre.
5) dad always adds a little / much chilli sauce to his food.
6) I couldn’t find a seat on the train because there were lots of / a few people on it.
7) The fridge is nearly empty, but there are a few / many eggs.
8) Is there much / a little pollution in your city?
1) much 2) a few 3) a lot of 4) many 5) a little 6) lots of
7) a few 8) much
3. Choose the correct words to complete the sentences.
1) It’s hard to find your way around town because there aren’t many ________
a traffic b road signs c information
2) There are lots of expensive __________ in village.
a houses b transport c scenery
3) There are lots of __________ in the city centre.
a pollution b billboards c noise
4) At night, you don’t see many __________ in the centre.
a public transport b traffic c people
5) They don’t have much __________ in their new flat.
a bedrooms b people c space
6) His parents give him a few __________ every week.
a pounds b money c help
7) The pizza restaurant closed down because it was only making a little ________
a pizzas b meals c money
8) Is there usually much __________ in town?
a people b traffic c buses
1) b 2) a 3) b 4) c 5) c 6) a 7) c 8) b
4. Circle the correct alternatives in the text.
I live in a place called North Leyton. It’s a quiet town. There are 1 a few / a little restaurants and cafés in the centre, but there aren’t 2any / much nightclubs. There aren’t 3 a few / many shops in North Leyton, so most people go to the shopping centre out of town. It’s easy to get to because there are 4 a little / lots of buses.
There are 5 lots of / much good things about living in a quiet town. There isn’t 6 some / much pollution. And there’s 7 any / some beautiful scenery just outside the town. At weekends, I spend 8 a few / a lot of time riding mountain bike through the countryside.
1) a few 2) any 3) many 4) lots of 5) lots of 6) much
7) some 8) a lot of
Write a short description of your town like the one in exercise 4. Include all of the words in the box.
nightclub(s) shops restaurants traffic