1. Complete the sentences. Use the past perfect form of the verbs in brackets.
1) After dad __________ (wash) the car, he read the newspaper.
2) He __________ (not have) lunch so he was very hungry.
3) He __________ (not recharge) his mobile so he couldn’t text me.
4) She felt tired because she __________ (go) to bed very late the night before.
5) We couldn’t drive to Liverpool because our car (break down) ________
6) I didn’t go to the cinema because I __________ (see) the film.
7) Last summer I went to Rome. I __________ (not visit) Italy before.
8) After I __________ (write) the essay, I gave it to teacher.
1) had washed 2) hadn’t had 3) hadn’t recharged
4) had gone 5) had broken down 6) had seen
7) hadn’t visited 8) had written
2. Look at the timeline below. Then complete the sentences using the past perfect, affirmative or negative.
1) When Ben had breakfast, he __hadn’t phoned__ (phone) Luke.
2) When Ben had breakfast, he ________ (have) a shower.
3) When Ben left home, he ________ (phone) Luke.
4) When Ben arrived at school, classes ________ (begin).
5) When classes began, Ben ________ (finish) his homework.
6) When classes finished, Ben ________ (have) lunch.
7) When classes finished, Ben ________ (finish) his homework.
2) had had 3) had phoned 4) hadn’t begun
5) hadn’t finished 6) hadn’t had 7) had finished
3. Rewrite the sentences. Use the past perfect for one of the verbs.
1) We went out, then the burglars broke in.
After __we had gone out, the burglars broke in. _____________
2) The vandals broke car window, then I saw them.
When I saw them, the vandals had broken window.
3) The thief stole the jewels, then he sold them to his friend.
4) The shoplifter ran away, then the police arrived.
5) The teenagers went joyriding, then they burned the car.
6) The arsonist set fire to the school, then he ran away.
7) The gang robbed the bank, then they flew to Brazil.
3) After the thief had stolen the jewels, he sold them to his friend.
4) When the police arrived, the shoplifter had run away.
5) After the teenagers had gone joyriding, they burned the car.
6) After the arsonist had set fire to the school, he ran away.
7) After the gang had robbed the bank, they flew to Brazil.
Tick ✓ the things you had done before 8.30 yesterday morning. Then write true sentences using the past perfect, affirmative or negative. Add four more ideas, two affirmative and two negative.
speak to a friend
1) By 8.30 in the morning, I had woken up.