1. Complete the thought bubbles. Use the past simple form of the verbs in the box.
be can have like speak understand
1) I wish I __could__ swim.
2) I wish I ________ a skateboard.
3) I wish I ________ this question.
4) I wish I ________ chocolate.
5) I wish I ________ fitter.
6) I wish I ________ Chinese.
2) had 3) understood 4) liked 5) were 6) spoke
2. Write wishes. Then match them with the reasons below.
1) (have / a smartphone)
I wish I had a smartphone. c
2) (can / play the guitar)
3) (live / in Los Angeles)
4) (know / some famous people)
5) (have / a job)
6) (be / fitter)
a I’d go to the beach every weekend.
b I’d have more money to spend.
c I could surf the Net any time I wanted.
d I’d invite them to parties.
e I’d beat brother at tennis.
f I’d join friend’s band.
2) I wish I could play the guitar. (f)
3) I wish I lived in Los Angeles. (a)
4) I wish I knew some famous people. (d)
5) I wish I had a job. (b)
6) I wish I were fitter. (e)
3. Choose an option and write a wish. Invent a reason beginning with because then ___ .
1) be older / be younger
I wish I was younger, because then I wouldn’t have to do homework.
2) speak Chinese / speak Spanish
3) live in England / live in the USA
4) go to a bigger school / go to a smaller school
5) can fly / can become invisible
6) have a Ferrari / have a private aeroplane
7) be a film star / be a politician
Your own answers
Write thought bubbles for these cartoons. Use I wish ___