1. Complete the text with the words below.
centre checks class crew lounge pass season
News > Jet2.com
At Manchester Airport, an eleven-year-old boy has managed to walk through all the security 1) _________ and fly to Rome. He did not have a passport or a boarding 2) _________
According to news reports, Liam Corcoran was with his mother in a nearby shopping 3) _________ when he decided to go off on his own. He went to Manchester Airport, where he succeeded in reaching the departure 4) _________ without having a ticket or any other kind of document. Because it was high 5) _________, the airport was extremely crowded and nobody noticed him. He boarded a Jet2 flight to Rome and the plane took off. During the flight, a few other passengers in econo 6) _________ became suspicious about the boy and told the cabin 7) _____ The captain then radioed the airport and confirmed that they had an extra passenger!
1) checks 2) pass 3) centre 4) lounge 5) season
6) class 7) crew
2. Match the two halves of the compounds.
1) e, flight number
2) d, low season 3) g, passport control 4) h, first class
5) c, flight attendant 6) f, online check-in 7) a, seat belt
8) i, hand luggage 9) j, baggage carousel 10) b, single room
3. Complete the sentences with the compounds in exercise 2.
1) As his four-year-old son sat down on the _____________, it started to move.
2) Our _____________ is EZY 8512.
3) He doesn’t always sit in _____________, even though he owns the airline.
4) I asked the _____________ for a pair of headphones.
5) You can keep your _____________ under the seat in front of you.
6) When several flights land at the same time, there are long queues at _____________
7) When you’re travelling alone, it’s cheaper to book a _____________
8) Using _____________ can save you time at the airport.
9) Hotels are a lot cheaper during _____________
10) You must wear your _____________ when the plane is taking off and landing.
1) baggage carousel 2) flight number 3) first class
4) flight attendant 5) hand luggage 6) passport control
7) single room 8) online check-in 9) low season
10) seat belt
They all have the stress on the first word, except for first class, passport control, and online check-in.
1) As his four-year-old son sat down on the baggage carousel, it started to move.
2) Our flight number is EZY 8512.
3) He doesn’t always sit in first class, even though he owns the airline.
4) I asked the flight attendant for some headphones.
5) You can keep your hand luggage under the seat in front of you.
6) When several flights land at the same time, there are long queues at passport control.
7) When you’re travelling alone, it’s cheaper to book a single room.
8) Using online check-in can save you time at the airport.
9) Hotels are a lot cheaper during low season.
10) You must wear your seat belt when the plane is taking off or landing.
When you record new nouns, look for compounds which include those nouns. You can sometimes find these compounds under the same dictionary entry, but sometimes they have their own entries.
4. Read the Vocab boost! box. Study the dictionary extract below and answer the questions.
1) How many compounds are there in total? ________.
2) How many separate entries are there? ________.
1Four : excess baggage, baggage reclaim, baggage room, left-luggage office
2Two : baggage, baggage room
5. Use a dictionary to find compounds that include these words.
1) bus: ________.
2) tourist: ________.
3) air: ________.
your own answers
6. Match the words in A with the words in B to make compound nouns. Then use them to complete the texts.
A bag boarding check-in departure flight
hand baggage passport window
B attendant desk carousel control
drop gate luggage pass seat
There is so much you can do on your computer before a flight that you no longer have to go to the 1) _____. when you arrive at the airport. If you have printed your 2) _____, you can leave your luggage at the 3) _____. and go directly to the 4) _____.
When I fly, I can’t decide if it’s better to have a 5) _____. or to sit by the aisle. When you’re on the aisle, it’s easier to talk to the 6) _____, and you can reach your 7) _____. in the cupboard above your seat if you need it. Also, at the end of the flight you can get off the plane faster, pick up your luggage from the 8) _____, get through 9) _____. and start enjoying your holiday.
1) check-in desk 2) boarding pass 3) bag drop
4) departure gate 5) window seat
6) flight attendants 7) hand luggage
8) baggage carousel 9 passport control