1. Do the puzzle using the picture clues. What are the two hidden animals?
1) bear 2) dolphin 3) bee 4) spider 5) shark 6) whale
7) snake 8) tiger 9) monkey 10) giraffe 11) lion 12) frog
13) eagle 14) gorilla 15) crocodile 16) hippo
The hidden animals are: elephant, kangaroo
2. Look at the pictures of a wolf and a bird. Match items 1-8 in the pictures with the words below.
ear 1 legs 7 paw 4 tail 8 eye 5 mouth 2 teeth 3 wing 6
3. Answer the questions with animals from exercises 1 and 2.
Which animals ___
1) haven’t got any legs? ________
2) have got wings? ________
3) have got six or eight legs? ________
4) have got four arms / legs and a tail? ________
1) dolphins, sharks, whales, snakes
2) bees, eagles, birds
3) bees, spiders
4) bears, tigers, monkeys, giraffes, lions, crocodiles, hippos, wolves, elephants, kangaroos
4. Listen to four people describing animal photos. Which animal is each speaker talking about? Choose from the animals in exercise 1.
Speaker 1 is describing a photo of a ______________
Speaker 2 is describing a photo of an ______________
Speaker 3 is describing a photo of a ______________
Speaker 4 is describing a photo of a ______________
1) a bear 2) an eagle 3) a gorilla 4) a bee
1) I think this is a great photo of a xx. It’s standing in a river and it’s eating a salmon. It’s holding the fish in its big paws. I imagine this is in the USA or Canada, maybe – that’s where they live, isn’t it?
2) I like this photo. You can see the xx flying high above the mountains. Its wings are really huge – about two metres, I think. It’s looking down at the ground. It’s looking for food, I guess!
3) This photo of a xx is amazing, I think – because it looks so human! It’s holding a leaf in its hand and eating it. I know they’re much bigger and stronger than humans, but it doesn’t look frightening at all. It looks very gentle, with kind eyes.
4) This is an interesting photo of a xx. Its body is yellow and black, and it’s on a flower. They work hard and I think they’re amazing.
1. Complete the definitions with six of the animals below.
bee butterfly crocodile dolphin eagle elephant frog
hippo shark snake spider wolf
1) A / An __________ is an insect with big coloured wings.
2) A / An __________ is a reptile with a long thin body and no legs.
3) A / An __________ is a very big mammal from Africa or Asia with big ears and a long nose.
4) A / An __________ is a large bird that can see very well.
5) A / An __________ is a big fish that lives in the sea.
6) A / An __________ is a small green animal that lives in and near water.
1) butterfly 2) snake 3) elephant 4) eagle 5) shark 6) frog
2. Answer the questions with parts of an animal.
What does an animal use ___
1) to make sounds and to eat? __________
2) to fly? __________
3) to hear? __________
4) to see? __________
5) to walk and to stand? __________
1) mouth 2) wings 3) ears 4) eyes 5) legs
3. Complete the sentences with ago, last or yesterday.
1) grandparents arrived a few minutes __________
2) I watched a film on TV __________ night.
3) dad walked to work __________ morning.
4) Maria started studying English ten years __________
5) We travelled to Canada __________ summer.
1) ago 2) last 3) yesterday 4) ago 5) last
4. Complete the sentences with the professions formed from the words in bold.
1) Joseph Pulitzer worked for different journals and newspapers. He was a __________
2) Marco Polo explored China and Central Asia. He was an __________
3) John F. Kennedy worked in politics in the 1950s and 60s. He was a __________
4) Captain James Cook was the first European to sail to Australia. He was a __________
5) Marie Curie was good at science , especially physics and chemistry. She was a __________
1) journalist 2) explorer 3) politician 4) sailor 5) scientist
5. Complete the sentences.
1) It’s a beautiful day. There isn’t a cloud in the __________
2) In the Himalayas, there’s always snow on the __________
3) When I was a child, I loved playing with the sand on the __________
4) It was a clear night, so we could see the moon and all the __________
5) We stopped to have lunch on the grass under a __________
6) sister doesn’t like driving in the dark, so she always tries to get home before __________
1) sky 2) mountains 3) beach 4) stars 5) tree 6) sunset
6. Match the first parts of sentences 1-6 with the second parts (a-f).
1) The women are walking
2) The boy is climbing
3) The children are lying
4) The girl is looking down
5) The men are facing
6) People are standing
a at the bus stop.
b at the floor.
c a tree.
d along a path.
e on the ground.
f the door.
1) D 2) C 3) E 4) B 5) F 6) A