1. Label the parts of the home (1-13) with the words below.
bathroom basement bedroom dining room garage
garden hall kitchen living room loft study toilet
1) loft 2) bedroom 3) bathroom 4) study 5) toilet
6) garage 7) kitchen 8) dining room 9) living room
10) utility room 11) hall 12) basement 13) garden
2. Match a-z in the picture with the words (1-26) below.
6 c arpet
7 c hest of drawers
8 c lock
9 c ooker
26) washing machine
1) f 2) d 3) s 4) I 5) l 6) w 7) c 8) t 9) r 10) n
11) x 12) j 13) q 14) u 15) k 16) y 17) b 18) a
19) p 20) h 21) m 22) v 23) z 24) g 25) e 26) o
3. Listen to a dialogue about an apartment. In which order do they visit these rooms? Number them from 1 to 6.
1) kitchen 2) utility room 3) dining room
4) living room 5) bathroom 6) bedroom
4. Listen again and complete the sentences from the dialogue. Use words from exercise 2.
1) The ________. looks really modern.
2) The ________. are electric too.
3) That ________. is enormous!
4) The ________. on the wall is beautiful.
5) The ________. looks very comfortable.
6) The ________. are an unusual colour.
7) That ________. is very attractive.
1) cooker 2) blinds 3) sink 4) mirror 5) sofa
6) curtains 7) light
Agent So, let’s start here. And as you can see, everything in this room is quite new.
Customer Yes. The cooker looks really modern. Is it electric?
a Yes, it is. Everything is electric, actually.
c You mean, like the fridge?
a Well, of course. But look. The blinds are electric too.
c That’s great! Er ___ is there a washing machine?
a Not in this room. But open this door, and ___
c Oh, that’s really nice.
a It’s not a big room, but it’s got everything you need. There are a few cupboards, there’s a washing machine ___
c That sink is enormous!
a Yes. It’s perfect for washing clothes. Shall we see the other rooms now?
c Yes, please.
a So, this is the next room. It’s got a table and chairs.
c The mirror on the wall is beautiful.
a Yes. It makes the room look larger.
c I can imagine having dinner in here with some friends.
a Yes, it’s perfect, isn’t it? And when you want to relax before or after dinner, you can bring your guests through to this other room ___
c Oh, yes. Very nice. The sofa looks very comfortable. Er ___ the curtains are an unusual colour.
a Yes. You’ll probably want to change those. Anyway, let’s go upstairs. Follow me ___
c Oh, yes. I love this. Very modern. That light is very attractive.
a Yes. And the bath and the shower are nice too.
c Yes. Very nice. And what’s through this door?
a Yes, it is. After you ___
c Oh, this is a good size. It’s a big bed! And is there a wardrobe?
a Yes, there is. The wardrobe is behind the door.
c Oh, yes. I didn’t see it.
a So, what do you think?
c I love it. When can I move in?
1. Circle the item that is not usually in the room.
a bed b chest of drawers
c cooker d curtains
a bath b desk
c mirror d toilet
a bin b clock
c sofa d dishwasher
4) LIVING ROOM
a carpet b hi-fi
c shelves d wardrobe
a blinds b chair
c lamp d shower
6) UTILITY ROOM
a bookcase b cupboards
c sink d washing machine
1) c 2) b 3) c 4) d 5) d 6) a
2. Match the definitions with the parts of a house below.
basement dining room garage garden hall loft utility room
1) a room where people eat ________.
2) the room in a house that is near the front door ________.
3) a room in a part of a building that is under the ground ________.
4) a part of a house where you keep your car ________.
5) the room under the roof of a house ________.
6) a piece of land by your house where you can grow flowers, fruit and vegetables ________.
7) a room where people often keep their washing machine ________.
1) dining room 2) hall 3) basement 4) garage 5) loft
6) garden 7) utility room
3. Complete the sentences with the words below.
basic daily free next-door sandy tropical
1) One of best friends is ________. neighbour.
2) The shop in the villages sells ________. supplies, but you have to go into the town to find a supermarket.
3) The south of Spain is famous for its ________. beaches.
4) Curaҫao is a ________. island in the Caribbean.
5) _____. life in Antarctica is hard because of the extreme cold.
6) What do you enjoy doing in your ________. time?
1) next-door 2) basic 3) sandy 4) tropical 5) daily 6) free
4. Match the sentences (1-6) with the phrases (a-f).
1) You can easily get three cars in their garage.
2) You can’t stand up in the loft.
3) That room has a lot of windows.
4) Our living room is warm and comfortable.
5) There are a lot of clothes on the floor of your room.
6) You can’t see anything in the basement.
a It’s cosy.
b It’s uncomfortable.
c It’s dark.
d It’s large.
e It’s untidy.
f It’s bright.
1) d 2) b 3) f 4) a 5) e 6) c