1. Complete the text. Use the past simple affirmative form of the irregular verbs in brackets.
SAMKODO from Togo, in Africa, is an inventor and a businessman – and he 1) _____ (become) an inventor when he was very young. When he 2) _____ (be) only seven years old, he 3) _____ (build) his own robot. The robot 4) _____ (can) move around a room and follow instructions. Sam’s father teaches at the university in Lomé, the capital of Togo. At a young age, Sam often 5) _____ (go) with his father to work and 6) _____ (read) books in the library there. His favourite books 7) _____ (be) about electronics. Sam 8) _____ (begin) to make things using old parts from broken TVs and other electrical devices. Sometimes, he 9) _____ (break) his own toys to get the parts! When he was fifteen, he 10) _____ (make) his first smartphone and PC. Now Sam has his own computer company in Togo.
1) became 2) was 3) built 4) could 5) went 6) read
7) were 8) began 9) broke 10) made
2. In some of these sentences, the past simple form is incorrect. Underline the incorrect verbs and write the sentence correctly. Tick the correct sentences.
1) I taked a lot of photos yesterday.
2) I did homework this morning.
3) We speaked to the teacher earlier.
4) I had cereal for breakfast.
5) You comed home late last night.
6) grandfather fighted in World War 2.
1) I took a lot of photos yesterday.
3) We spoke to the teacher earlier.
5) You came home late last night.
6) grandfather fought in World War 2.
3. Complete the sentences with the past simple affirmative form of the verbs below. All the verbs are irregular.
buy catch draw dream fall find see think
1) When I was at the beach, I ________. a picture of a face in the sand.
2) She’s in hospital because she ________. off her horse.
3) He ________. presents for all of his family.
4) She ________. about her answer for a long time before speaking.
5) friend ________. a gold ring at the bottom of a swimming pool.
6) They ________. the last bus home at midnight.
7) She ________. about becoming a film star.
8) The teacher ________. me using smartphone in class.
Which of the verbs also has a regular past simple form?
1) drew 2) fell 3) bought 4) thought 5) found
6) caught 7) dreamt / dreamed 8) saw
4. Write sentences in the past simple affirmative. Some verbs are regular and some are irregular.
1) we / see / an interesting film / last night
2) I / travel / around Japan / last summer
3) brother / bring / home / a cat / yesterday
4) I / get / a good grade / last term
5) cousins / arrive / a few minutes ago
6) the lesson / finish / an hour ago
7) I / cook / dinner / yesterday evening
8) parents / teach / abroad / ten years ago
1) We saw an interesting film last night.
2) I travelled around Japan last summer.
3) brother brought home a cat yesterday.
4) I got a good grade last term.
5) cousins arrived a few minutes ago.
6) The lesson finished an hour ago.
7) I cooked dinner yesterday evening.
8) parents taught abroad ten years ago.
5. Choose six irregular verbs from the words below. Write six true sentences about yourself. Include some of the time expressions from exercise 4.
be become begin buy come do find get
go have read see take
your own answers
6. Complete the text with the correct past simple affirmative form of the verbs below.
bring come go have live see take teach
When I was little, I only 1) _____ grandparents once a year because they 2) _____ abroad. Every year, grandfather 3) _____ me a new model plane when they 4) _____ to stay. In the afternoons, grandfather and I 5) _____ the planes to the park and he 6) _____ me how to fly them. We 7) _____ a lot of fun together, and we often 8) _____ home very late. Today, I’ve got great memories of grandfather and those planes.
1) saw 2) lived 3) brought 4) came 5) took
6) taught 7) had 8) went