1. Complete the rules. Use in, on and at.
1) We use ________ with months (e.g. May).
2) We use ________ with times (e.g. one o’clock).
3) We use ________ with parts of the day (e.g. the afternoon).
4) We use ________ with days (e.g. Monday).
5) We use ________ with years (e.g. 2015).
6) We use ________ with celebrations (e.g. New Year).
7) We use ________ with festival days (e.g. Children’s Day).
8) We use ________ with dates (e.g. 20 March).
9) We use ________ with seasons (e.g. autumn).
10) We use ________ with night and the weekend.
1) in 2 at 3) in 4) on 5) in 6) at 7) on 8) on 9) in 10) at
2. Complete the text with the correct prepositions: in, on and at.
Liam Brown lives with his mum on a small island in Scotland. They live a long way from a town, so Liam doesn’t go to school. His mum teaches him at home.
‘I have lessons from Monday to Thursday. Mum lets me sleep until nine in the morning and we start lessons 1) ____ __. ten, after breakfast. The kitchen is classroom and the kitchen table is desk! We have a break at 11.30. During the break Mum lets me play computer games! mum always gives me homework. I usually do it before dinner. 2) ____ __. Fridays we travel to a city and visit museums and art galleries. I don’t meet other children very often so I also go to a badminton club there 3) ____ __. The afternoon. 4) ____ __. The weekend I don’t have lessons. 5) ____ __. Saturday mornings I play tennis with dad or we sometimes go walking. I study all the usual subjects and I take national exams. next exams are next year. I think they’re 6) ____ __. June. I have the normal school holidays in the summer, and I don’t have school 7) ____ __. 20 September – that’s birthday!’
1) at 2) On 3) in 4) At 5) On 6) in 7) on
3. In the text in exercise 2, underline examples of the prepositions below.
after before during from ___ to until
after ___ we start lessons at ten, after breakfast.
before I usually do it before dinner.
during During the break Mum lets me play computer games!
from __to I have lessons from Monday to Thursday.
until Mum lets me sleep until nine ___
4. Complete the sentences with prepositions from exercise 3.
1) In our school, lunch break is __________ 12.30 __________ 1.30.
2) Lessons finish at four. __________ that, I usually go to a school club.
3) We have to study six subjects __________ we are sixteen. After that we can choose subjects.
4) I always do homework __________ dinner. After dinner I watch TV and play computer games.
5) We can’t use mobile phones __________ lessons.
1) from, to 2) After 3) until 4) before 5) during
5. Underline the mistakes with prepositions in these sentences. Rewrite the sentences correctly.
1) I don’t go to school in Sunday. ✗
2) I like to play football during the weekend. ✗
3) Do you give people presents at New Year’s Day? ✗
4) I do homework on the evening. ✗
5) The supermarket is open to six o’clock. ✗
6) I often go to the beach on the summer. ✗
1) I don’t go to school on Sunday.
2) I like to play football at the weekend.
3) Do you give people presents on New Year’s Day?
4) I do homework in the evening.
5) The supermarket is open until six o’clock.
6) I often go to the beach in the summer.
6. Match the first parts of the sentences (1-6) with the second parts (A-F)./span>
1) friends go on holiday in
2) It’s birthday on
3) Rob plays basketball at
4) I wash the dishes after
5) English class is from
6) We all get up early during
b 9.30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
d the week.
e the weekend.
1) C 2) F 3) E 4) A 5) B 6) D