1. Match three of the pictures with the prepositions below.
across along past round through to
a round b through c to
2. Put the prepositions below into five pairs of opposites.
away from down into off onto out of
over towards under up
1) away from – towards
2) _____ – ________
3) _____ – ________
4) _____ – ________
5) _____ – ________
2) down – up 3) into – out of 4) off – onto 5) over – under
3. Choose the correct prepositions to complete the text.
1) a down b over c through
2) a at b in c on
3) a into b to c towards
4) a at b on c in
5) a out of b into c off
6) a over b towards c out of
7) a along b across c under
8) a at b in c on
9) a along b under c over
10) a in b by c on
11) a in b by c on
12) a at b in c by
SURVIVAL IN THE JUNGLE
Juliane Koepcke was seventeen when she travelled with her mother by plane 1) _____ the Amazon rainforest to their home 2) _____ Peru. There was bad weather, and suddenly the plane started to fall from the sky, and crashed 3) _____ the jungle. When Juliane opened her eyes, she wasn’t in the plane. She was 4) _____ the rainforest, and she was alone. She shouted for her mother, but she couldn’t find her. There wasn’t much food – just some sweets. Juliane needed to get 5) _____ the rainforest quickly. She started to walk through the jungle. She climbed 6) _____ tree trunks and crawled 7) _____ bushes. She couldn’t see well because her glasses were missing. So she listened for the sound of water.
Eventually, Juliane arrived 8) _____ a river and she started to walk 9) _____ it. At night she stayed in a tree or 10) _____ the ground 11) _____ the river. She was tired and very hungry and she couldn’t travel fast. After ten days, she arrived at a hut. It belonged to three rainforest workers. When they returned to their hut, they were very surprised! A seventeen-year-old girl was inside!
Now there is a documentary, a film and a book about Juliane’s amazing story of survival 12) _____ the jungle.
1) b 2) b 3) a 4) c 5) a 6) a 7) c 8) a 9) a 10) c 11) b 12) b
4. Choose the correct answers.
1) Holly is going ____________ the shop to buy a newspaper.
a along b down c into
2) We walked ____________ the road when the cars stopped.
a across b off c past
3) Take the lift to the ground floor or go ____________ the stairs.
a down b onto c under
4) Drive ____________ the bridge and then turn right.
a into b over c up
5) We can go the long way round or take a shortcut ____________ the wood.
a across b along c through
6) The cat jumped ____________ the chair and stayed there all evening.
a onto b round c to
1) c 2) a 3) a 4) b 5) c 6) a